Inverness Backcountry Snowsports Club (hereafter known as the IBSC) takes your privacy seriously. We are a “controller” of the personal information that you provide to us and this privacy notice sets out how, why and for how long we will use your personal data, as well as who it is shared with. It also explains your legal rights as a data subject and how to exercise them.
What we need from you
When you register as a member of IBSC or renew your membership, we may ask you for some or all of the following personal information:
- Contact details – eg. name, address, email address and phone number.
- Date of birth – to calculate membership category and eligibility for events and courses.
- Payment details – Credit card details.
- Equality information – sex, gender, disability, ethnic group and religion.
- Safety and emergency details –next of kin & any health specifics
If you do not provide us with all of the personal information that we need this may affect our ability to offer you our membership services and benefits.
Why we need your personal information
We need to collect our members’ and customers’ personal information so that we can manage your relationship with us. We may use our members’ personal information to:
- Provide you with core member services, including confirmation of membership, membership card, end of year renewal.
- Set up an online membership account enabling you to manage your membership and communication preferences.
- Organise club activities and manage risk and safety if you attend a club meet.
- Register your membership with the representative body, currently Mountaineering Scotland, to provide you with benefits they offer to members of clubs.
We also process our members’ personal information in pursuit of our legitimate interests to:
- Provide you with news and updates about the activity of the club, opportunities to get involved in club meets, training, general meetings or other events.
- Raise awareness of the club’s activities by capturing photos, videos, or live streaming at events. We will use this for information, promotion, education and development purposes.
- Respond to and investigate your questions, comments, support needs, complaints, concerns or allegations.
We are under a legal obligation to process certain personal information relating to our members for the purposes of complying with:
- The Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Act 2007, which requires us to check that our coaches and volunteers are able to undertake regulated work with any vulnerable adults.
- The Equality Act 2010, which requires us to process personal information to make reasonable adjustments where necessary.
Why we need your personal information – equality monitoring
We use aggregated and anonymised reports of our members’ personal information for equality monitoring purposes, enabling us to evaluate and promote equality of opportunity within our sport.
Other uses of your personal information
We may ask you if we can process your personal information for other purposes. Where we do so, we will provide you with an additional privacy notice explaining how we will use your information for these purposes.
Who we share your personal information with
When we register your membership with Mountaineering Scotland we pass on your personal data and Mountaineering Scotland become a controller of your personal data. Mountaineering Scotland provides full details of how it uses your personal data in its own privacy notice and will not use it for any other purpose.
We may be required to share personal information with professional and legal advisors for the purpose of obtaining advice.
Third party suppliers with access to members’ personal data
The IBSC may use third party suppliers to provide services. These suppliers may process personal data on our behalf as “processors” and are subject to contractual conditions to only process that personal information under our instructions and protect it.
In the event that we share personal information with external third parties, we only share such information strictly required for the specific purposes and take reasonable steps to ensure recipients shall only process the disclosed personal information in accordance with those purposes.
- Membership Works provide our membership database.
- Stripe process payment transactions securely on our behalf.
- Mailchimp distribute some of our email communications. Their servers are based in the US and they uphold the EU Privacy Shield to certify their data security.
- Instructors, coaches and event organisers receive details of participants.
How we protect your personal information
Your personal information is accessed by our committee only for the purposes set out above. It is stored by our club within an electronic 3rd party cloud based server (Membership Works). Your personal data is transferred to Mountaineering Scotland by a password protected email spreadsheet
How long we keep your personal information
We only keep your personal information for as long as necessary to provide you with membership services. Unless you ask us not to, we will review and delete your personal information where you have not renewed your membership with us for 2 years.
You have a right to:
- Change your communication preferences or restrict the processing of your personal data for specific purposes.
- Request that we correct your personal data if you believe it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Access the personal data that we hold about you through a “subject access request”.
- Request that we delete your personal information.
You can contact us at email@example.com
If you are dissatisfied, you have a right to raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office at www.ico.org.uk